Casey Stoner appears to have called time on his V8 Supercars career after just one year in the Dunlop Series revealing he is take a break from competition at the end of the season.
Stoner joined the V8 Supercars second-tier development championship with Red Bull Racing Australia after retiring from MotoGP at the end of 2012, but has so far failed to make an impact on the series, recording just one top-10 finish in 14 races of the 19 race season.
The former MotoGP Champion recently labelled the development series “a joke” after two races were shortened due to time restrictions at Queensland Raceway. Stoner, whose best result of 5th came at the Queensland Raceway circuit has also been critical of Red Bull-Pirtek Holden’s demanding schedule of media and sponsor commitments.
The 27-year-old sparked rumours of a potential return to MotoGP earlier this year when he tested with the Honda MotoGP squad, but insisted he has no intention of making a return.
Instead, Stoner says he plans to taking a break from all forms of competition in 2014.
“I will probably do some car racing here and there in different times.” Stoner told media at a function in Brisbane on Friday (13 September).
“To be honest, after this year, I realised I want to get away from competition for a little while,”